Jump to main content of page

What Happened to the Firkin Pubs

(Please Note: This article was originally written in 2000 when I created my first pub review and travel guide. I’ve added some annotations and additions, and these are indicated.)

History

Firkin Dogbolter Pump ClipThe Firkin pub chain was started in London in 1979 by David Bruce[1]. He stepped in and bought a few run-down pubs off the major brewers where they were unable to make them pay. As well as redocorating the pubs in a basic but friendly style, he introduced the long forgotten concept of pubs brewing their own beer.

The breweries were tiny and were located behind or underneath the pubs – often with viewing windows or hatches so that the ‘machinery’ became part of the environment.

I first became aware of the chain in 1980 when friends took me to one of the original pubs, the Goose and Firkin in Borough, London SE1. The pub was packed and the atmosphere very lively, with a pianist leading everyone through an old style pub sing-song. I also used to frequent the original Frog and Firkin – a tiny pub just by the Hammersmith & City line near Westbourne Park station. Another well known pub was the Phoenix and Firkin which occupied the old ticket office at Denmark Hill station in South London. The name refers to the fact that the ticket office was previously destroyed by fire, but was renovated to create the pub.

Expansion

With the success of the concept, the chain grew rapidly until 1988 when David Bruce sold the chain to European Leisure. The pubs changed hands a couple more times in a short period until in 1991 the chain was taken over by Allied Lyons (later Allied Domecq).

Flyman & Firkin, Shaftesbury AvenueAfter this the chain expanded again, not just in London but all over the country – typically in university towns. There were a few wobbly periods but generally the pubs were excellent, had a great atmosphere and played good music too.

The 1995 CAMRA Good Beer Guide records that the chain had 44 pubs of which 19 actually brewed. (The non-brewery pubs were supplied by one of the other Firkin pubs). Each pub tended to have it’s own named bitter, along with the Dogbolter and other seasonal beers.The Dogbolter[2] was always my favourite drink as it tasted like nothing else – a rich, dark, strong brew, although it didn’t do to drink it all night long.

When going for a night out in London, trips to Firkin pubs were always on the schedule. My favourites were The Flyman and Firkin, Fanfare and Firkin in the West End of London, along with The Fringe and Firkin in Shepherds Bush. I can’t remember the name but the Firkin pub in Winchester was really good too.

The Bass Takeover

Apparently in the spring of 1999, Whitbread and Punch Taverns both made hostile bids to take over the entire Allied Domecq pub roster. After a bidding war, Whitbread pulled out of the running leaving Punch Taverns to take over with financing from Bass. It then appears that Punch Taverns sold the Firkin chain on to Bass.

Early in October 1999, signs were appearing in Firkin pubs in London announcing that Firkin beers were to be discontinued, to be replaced with two ‘new’ and ‘exciting’ brews – namely Tetleys and Burtons.

So on October 8th 1999 all brewing of Firkin beers stopped completely and all the brewing staff were made redundant. Some of the Central London Firkin pubs had stock left for a few days, but because of the high turnover, it didn’t last to the following weekend.

It is unclear why Punch Taverns/Bass bought the chain and then decided to cease production of the distinctive Firkin beers, but it was certainly not done in the interest of consumer choice[3]. Tetleys, and Burtons especially may have been quality beers, but they are limp and lifeless when compared to Firkin beer.

Following any of the links in this section will take you away from this site and I can’t be held responsible for their content.

2010 Notes

1. David Bruce is now a director of the Capital Pub Company which operates about 25 pubs in London. These pubs are appranetly not themed in the same way the Firkin pubs were, and none of them brew their own beer.
  2. Dogbolter actually does live on! The Ramsgate Brewery, based in Broadstairs brews Gadds’ Faithful Dogbolter Porter which I believe uses the same recipe as the original Firkin versions. And I have read comments that it tastes very like the original. You can read more about it in a blog post elsewhere on this site from 2009 entitled Firkin Dogbolter.
  3. In 2000 I naively believed that pub chains would care what their customer thought since it was the customers that chose to go there and buy the beer. Looking back it was obvious that Punch wanted to minimise costs and maximise profits so weren’t really interested in the craft brewing and other unique aspects of the Firkin chain. I guess they were also interested in acquiring a chain of pubs that were often in prime locations within towns.

157 Responses to “What Happened to the Firkin Pubs”

1. Paul says:

Frankie Boy Flame is on YouTube. By the looks of it he mainly entertains people with acquired brain injuries…

2. Chris Daniels says:

I recently acquired a glass display box fron the Flock & Firkin in a charity shop! It contains many barrel tops with the names of nearly all of the Firkin pubs on. I was really excited about this because it had some of the places i used to frequent in my youth around Birmingham…

Flapper & Firkin
    Feller & Firkin
    Falstaff & Firkin
    Factotum & Firkin

Im sure there was another! They were the best for a warm atmosphere & live music, the shabby chic botanical coffee houses of today are nice but i doubt the joy & wildness of the Firkin pubs will ever be matched again! The Flapper on the canal has recently been converted into city apartments i believe, Kleenex moment ?!

3. Juliet Brammer says:

So pleased to have stumbled across this thread. Its brought back some very happy memories of Friday nights at the Goose & Firkin in the mid-eighties. (Not sure how I’ve got any memories at all after at least half a dozen pints of Dog bolter!). My friends and I were a loyal crew. We used to trek from Holloway Road to Elephant & Castle so we could sing along with Frankie on the piano. I’ve got a cassette with a live recording on somewhere – must dig it out! Ieft London in the mid 90s and wasn’t aware of the demise of the Firkin pubs. Such a shame.

4. Phil Lorriman says:

Used to go to the Flamingo at Beckett St Derby for a pint (or two) of Dogbolter on a Saturday lunchtime after picking up my other half from work. Even lunchtimes were great, brilliant atmosphere & just superb beer ! We moved away to Lincolnshire & I have only just found out about the sad demise of this, & the other pubs. Very happy memories. I too have a tee-shirt – ‘Flamin go & buy me a Firkin pint!’. Sad loss (again) to the grasping ‘big six’ as it used to be.

5. Peter Fay says:

I used to run the Fuzzock & Firkin in Kentish Town, I left the company soon after David sold the company to Midsummer Leisure, I still have the commemorative glass tankard given to the managers, fond memories.

6. MikeB says:

I lived in Weyhill while stationed with the USAF at RAF Greenham Common and the wife of a couple (she worked at MOD in London) I met at the Star Inn in Weyhill (now an Indian restaurant) took me to the Goose and Firkin. For years a most prized possession was my Goose t-shirt. I probably had more Brit friends than American and loved every minute I spent in England.

7. brookski says:

When I read these comments from people like me who loved nights out at – in my case mostly – the Goose it makes me mad that such a great place/chain has gone by the wayside at the hands of the Corporates. Then I remind myself that I was privileged to have been part of it whilst it was there and it lives on in my memories. Everything changes – including my memories – I wonder now it is was really as good as I remember… yeah, course it was!